What Day is the Best Day to Send Marketing Messages?
You’ve just completed writing and designing the best marketing email ever. You agonized over each word. You crafted the most amazing subject line ever written. You painstakingly chose the perfect photos. You selected the absolute ideal mailing list.
There’s no way your email will miss…right? Not necessarily.
If you have not calculated the perfect day of the week to send your email, all of your hard work may just dissipate into cyberspace – your beautiful words and photos vanishing without a trace. Before we get into the right day of the week to send your emails, let’s stop a minute to think about emails and marketing messages in general.
We Can’t Escape Marketing
People are bombarded with an estimated 5,000 marketing messages every single day from some type of source: emails, TV and radio ads, billboards, text messages, bus ads, etc. For email alone, an average office worker receives an estimated 121 emails every day. That may not include all of the opt-in emails from retail stores offering coupons, ticket sources offering information on upcoming shows, gaming updates, newsletters from various sources and more. (Think about how full your own email inbox is!)
Email Marketing Still Works if You Do it Right
Three-quarters of companies agree that email offers “excellent” to “good” ROI. (Econsultancy, 2016)
Somehow your message has to break through all of this clutter and attract the attention of your intended audience. It has to compete with messages people have opted in to receive. If you are sending a message to your internal database, you may have an easier time standing out. However, if you are using a rented list, you really want to make sure you have checked every box on your Email Send Checklist to get the best results:
- Strong subject line
- Clear, concise and professional content
- Valuable call-to-action
- Professional design
- Delivery on a good day of the week
So, What’s the Perfect Day to Send Emails?
We wish we could give you the definitive answer to this question. The truth is that the perfect day will differ from business to business, industry to industry. There have been countless studies on email open rate stats in relation to the days the emails are sent. There are also studies on the best time to send emails. While the results are usually varied for specific weekdays, most studies agree that the weekends are the worst times to send marketing emails.
According to HubsSpot, 11 a.m. ET has the highest click through rate for email sends.
At Fast Track Marketing, we have sent literally hundreds of thousands of emails for our clients. What we have discovered is that Tuesdays and Wednesdays typically have the best email open rates. (We also agree with sending emails out before noon in the recipient’s time zone.) Here’s what we have found for the other days of the week:
- Mondays: The email inbox is jam packed. If people haven’t checked it all weekend, they will have a mountain of emails to sift through and it will be all-too-easy to quickly delete any that are not 100% important or of high value to their current mindset. Plus, Mondays are just too busy.
- Thursdays and Fridays: Toward the end of the work week, people are getting ready for the weekend. They are wrapping up projects at work, dealing with family schedules and trying to keep their sanity for a couple more days until they can make it to the weekend.
- Saturdays and Sundays: The weekend has arrived for most people, so taking time to check emails is often very low on the list. They are too busy out having fun! Even if people are waiting for an important message from someone, they will most likely skip over the unnecessary messages, leaving them to sit until Monday. And then we’re back to Monday and the whole process starts again.
But just because our team at Fast Track Marketing has experienced better open rates on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, that doesn’t mean it is a recipe for guaranteed success for your unique business.
What’s a Smart Marketer to Do? It All Comes Down to Testing.
The best advice we can give is to send your marketing emails on different days and times and track the effectiveness so you can determine what works best for your business. The experienced email marketing team at Fast Track Marketing can help your business improve your email marketing and boost your revenue. From unique email marketing ideas to professional, attention-grabbing content to professional design to effective sends to comprehensive tracking and reporting, we can help you from start to results! Contact us today to learn more. Call (303) 731-2634 or send an email to Brandi@fast-trackmarketing.com.